Tuesday 10 September 2024

Apologies in Japanese: すみません(Sumimasen) and ごめんなさい(Gomennasai)

すみません and ごめんなさい are both translated as "I'm sorry" in English, but they have slightly different nuances.

 * すみません is a general word used when you've caused trouble or inconvenience to someone.
   * Examples:
     * Asking for directions
     * Making a mistake
     * Making a request
 * ごめんなさい is a word used when you've caused significant trouble or hurt someone's feelings.
   * Examples:
     * Breaking a promise
     * Ignoring someone's feelings
     * Breaking something
Summary
 * すみません is a polite expression used in various situations.
 * ごめんなさい is a more emotional expression often used with close friends or family.
When to use which:
 * Consider the relationship with the person you're apologizing to.
 * Think about the severity of what you did.
 * Take the situation into account.
Examples
 * すみません:
   * "I'm sorry, but could you please tell me the way?"
   * "I'm sorry for being late."
 * ごめんなさい:
   * "I'm so sorry for breaking my promise."
   * "I'm sorry for hurting your feelings."
Choose the appropriate word based on your situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japanese punctuation marks

-Japanese punctuation marks The Japanese language uses a variety of punctuation marks, but here are a few of the most common one...