Sunday 4 August 2024

The Polite Form "Masu(ます)" in Japanese

 What is "masu(ます)"?


"Masu" is a grammatical particle in Japanese that is attached to the verb stem to form the polite form of a sentence. It is one of the most fundamental aspects of Japanese grammar and is essential for polite communication.

Why is "masu" important?

Politeness: The primary function of "masu" is to make the sentence more polite. It is used in formal situations, when speaking to someone older or of higher status, or simply to show respect.
Tense: "Masu" is often associated with the present tense, but it can also be used to express future intentions.
How to use "masu"?

Identify the verb stem: Remove any particles or conjugations from the verb to get the stem.
Example: "食べます" (tabemasu) - "食べる" (taberu) is the verb stem.
Attach "masu": Add "ます" (masu) directly to the verb stem.
Examples:

食べる (taberu) - to eat -> 食べます (tabemasu) - I eat / I will eat
行く (iku) - to go -> 行きます (ikimasu) - I go / I will go
話す (hanasu) - to speak -> 話します (hanashimasu) - I speak / I will speak
Additional notes:

Negative form: To make a sentence negative, replace "ます" (masu) with "ません" (masen).
Example: "食べません" (tabemasen) - I don't eat / I won't eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japanese punctuation marks

-Japanese punctuation marks The Japanese language uses a variety of punctuation marks, but here are a few of the most common one...