Wednesday 24 January 2024

Is Japan 'the least helpful country in the world'? 

 Is Japan 'the least helpful country in the world'? 

Researchers point to 'Japanese people's reservedness' as the cause.

日本は「世界で最も助け合わない国」? 研究者が指摘する原因は「日本人の遠慮」

https://www.j-cast.com/2023/12/12474688.html?p=all



``Hard work'', ``politeness'', ``kindness'', and ``hospitality'', as well as careful attention to detail, must have been the national characteristics of the Japanese people.


Not helping out due to the Japanese's characteristic 'reticence'.

I think what both issues have in common is a sense of ``reticence'' that is unique to Japanese people. A typical case is the ``transfer seat problem.'' If you want someone to give up your seat, you should just be able to honestly express your feelings to the other person, but you can't do that because you're afraid of inconveniencing the other person or making people think you're being presumptuous.


There are many stories of elderly people becoming angry when their seats are given up to young people.

-- When I entered my 60s and was offered my seat, I was shocked and wondered, "Do I look that old?" I thanked him and sat down, but..


I think that the Japanese people's ``restraint'' toward each other has led to the fact that Japan is the country that least helps each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

お金 (okane) - money

  https://learnjapanesefromanativejapanese.blogspot.com/ 1. Today's Japanese words **Currency:** * お金 (okane) - money (general term) * 円...